Feb. 15 2018: The Children's Hospital Association recently released "8 Ideas to Drive Future Results at your Children's Hospital." Read more about the CHA recommendation to use I-PASS in team communication every day here!
Feb. 12, 2018: The I-PASS Institute and CRICO Strategies announce a new partnership this week aimed at reducing medical errors and malpractice risk. Read more about this exciting new venture in the full press release, [...]
Dec 2017: Listen to a new CRICO podcast here, and hear a firsthand account of how improved communication is necessary for the safety of patients.
Nov. 2017: The I-PASS Institute was recently awarded a contract bid with the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center to implement the I-PASS handoff program across the institution. Read more about this project here!
Oct. 2017: "The best strategies for improving patient handoffs take a more comprehensive approach instead of focusing exclusively on that moment when a patient’s care is transferred from one caregiver to another, says Christopher Landrigan, MD, [...]
September: In the latest sentinel event alert issued by the Joint Commission, inadequate handoff communication is identified as an area hospitals can improve in order to reduce sentinel events. Check out the full alert from the [...]
Dec 05, 2016: I-PASS™ Patient Safety Institute, Inc. Announces Preferred Share Offering BusinessWire
May 26, 2016: Who Believes That Medical Error Is the Third Leading Cause of Hospital Deaths? British Medical Journal
May 19, 2016: How to Make Hospitals Less Deadly The Wall Street Journal
February 1, 2016: Communication failures linked to 1,744 deaths in five years, US Malpractice study finds The Boston Globe
- Patient Safety Movement Foundation Innovation Award – Recipient (2018)
- John M. Eisenberg Award for Innovation in Patient Safety and Quality – Recipient (2017)
- PHM Safety and Quality, Award Recipient (2015)
- “Top Articles” in Medical Education (#1 and #2) at Pediatric Hospital Medicine Annual Conference (2014)
- HBS-HMS Health Acceleration Cox Award Recipient (2014)
- Community / Patient Empowerment Award, Boston Children’s Hospital Taking on Tomorrow Conference (2013)
- Accreditation Canada Leading Practices, Award Recipient (2013)
- AAMC Readiness For Reform (R4R) Health Care Innovation Challenge – Honorable Mention (2012)
- Ray E. Helfer Award for Innovation in Pediatric Education – Award Recipient (2011)
The I-PASS signout format is now widely used in graduate medical education and is considered the gold standard for effective signout communication between physicians.
Four Ideas That Could Transform Healthcare Delivery “The I-PASS Handoff Process has been associated with a 30% reduction in injuries due to medical errors in nine hospitals. Medical professionals transmit vital information at every change of shift and whenever a patient changes locations.”
Avoiding Medical Errors in the Hospital “The risk for medical errors increases during handoffs. If you’re privy to the handoff discussion between doctors or teams, you can confirm your care instructions or next management steps and address any omissions about your health, such as drug allergies or a special diet.”