I-PASS Process for Adoption and Sustainment: Residency Specific Data
The use of I-PASS Institute services and solutions improves the quality of care and reduces harms to patients.
This graph depicts overall adherence to the I-PASS mnemonic among residents in programs implementing with the I-PASS Institute.
Patient Harms Reduction Data
This bar chart depicts the reduction in provider-reported patient harms in residency programs implementing with the I-PASS Institute.
Do Your Residents Use a Standardized Process in Transitions of Care?
Think about these questions in relation to your program:
Does your program focus on transitions of care?
- Do your residents use a standardized form of communication during handoffs?
- Do you measure adherence to this communication method?
- Do you measure the impact of this communication method on reductions in patient harm?
- Has your written handoff document been adapted by care area?
- Does your written handoff document integrate with your EHR?
- Is your program meeting the ACGME Transitions of Care Requirements?
If your response is “No” to any of the above, the I-PASS Patient Safety Institute can support you in answering “Yes”, and becoming ACGME compliant. Our bundle of interventions has been optimized for implementations with residency programs.
ACGME Common Program Requirements Section VI
Section VI.E.3. Transitions of Care1
1Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. (2018). ACGME Common Program Requirements. Retrieved from https://www.acgme.org/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/CPRResidency2019.pdf.
|VI.E.3.a||Programs must design clinical assignments to optimize transitions in patient care, including their safety, frequency, and structure.(Core)|
|VI.E.3.b||Programs, in partnership with their Sponsoring Institutions, must ensure and monitor effective, structured hand-over processes to facilitate both continuity of care and patient safety.(Core)|
|VI.E.3.c||Programs must ensure that residents are competent in communicating with team members in the hand-over process.(Outcome)|
Benefits of I-PASS Adoption
Fulfills ACGME common requirements
- Reduces handoff safety events
- Provides a concrete step toward becoming a high-reliability organization
- Provides potential financial savings from malpractice claims and reduced errors
- Supports Joint Commission compliance
- Improves the culture of safety scores
- Supports cultural changes for sustainment
View Our Bundled Solutions And Pricing
Bundle A: I-PASS Training, I-PASS Assessment & Improvement, and I-PASS eVIEW
With this bundle of solutions, you can ensure all residents are trained on a structured handoff method, collect observation data to track progress, adherence and feedback, and provide residents with optimal tools for facilitating the written handoff process.
Bundle B: I-PASS Training and I-PASS Assessment & Improvement
With this bundle of solutions, you can ensure all residents are trained on a structured handoff method, and collect observation data to track progress, adherence and feedback.